Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Spicy Corn and Crab Puffs & Blueberry Skillet Coffee Cake


“The crab that walks too far falls into the pot” - Haitian Proverb

La n Va are bringing the main course tonight so I thought a nice little appetizer would be great along with a super sweet dessert! I decided to try Bubba's Spicy Corn and Crab Puffs and a second time recipe favorite Easy Blueberry Skillet Coffee Cake. I will still list the coffee cake recipe even though I made it before, we all know that is makes regular buttermilk biscuits taste like a bakery shop delight! I will note that all the hell I went through frying the puffs was worth the awesome taste, but I HIGHLY recommend having an actual fryer on hand for this job as using the skillet caused me to have three pea-sized blisters on my left upper-arm. I was doin' some serious extreme cooking today! I know I sound like a broken record but the recipe was easy and went together so fast. I heated the oil and began frying away. These puffs were easy to tell when they needed flipped and really took no time at all to cook. The spattering hot oil kept me on my toes however, so I was able to get my workout in while frying! Within a total of about 12 minutes all the puffs were done and Walker and I were quick to sample...yummy! Justin and James both thought they were good just the way they were. Being fans of sea food, we both thought we could have used a bit more crab. If you are still worried about what it may taste like, I would say it is like a pimped out hush-puppie! lol!



Bubba's Spicy Corn and Crab Puffs
pg. 18 The Deen Family Cookbook

1/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
one 8 1/2oz box corn muffin mix
1 lb of lump or backfin crabmeat, well drained
1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
5 green onions white and green parts, chopped
21/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
peanut or veg oil for frying

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the corn muffin mix. Fold in the crab, corn, onions, and hot sauce. Add salt and pepper.

2. Heat oil in skillet to 330 degrees.

3. Using two spoons, carefully drop heaping spoonfuls and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate, season with salt, pepper, and additional hot sauce as desired. Serve immediately.


Easy Blueberry Skillet Coffee Cake

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp butter
2 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Coffee Cake
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 12 oz tube buttermilk biscuits
1 cup blueberries

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To make the streusel, combine the almonds, sugar, butter, flour, and cinnamon in a food processor anad pulse till large crumb form.

2. In a 9 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof skillet, cook the butter and brown sugar over medium heat until melted. Arrange the biscuits in a single layer in the pan, scatter the blueberries over the biscuits and the streusel topping over the berries. Bake until the biscuits are golden and a tester inserted in the center of a biscuit comes out clean (about 30 minutes). Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment