Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ham and Bean Soup



I am loving this recipe, it is so easy! I just love it when the directions say "combine all ingredients and cook!" It literally took about 10 minutes to throw together. My gang really likes soups in the fall and winter but I gotta make the soup hearty or it doesn't go over well. So I added additional onion, celery, and carrots as well as three ham hocks. I also used a 7 bean combination instead of just navy beans. Mom, Dad and us all had this soup for supper and everyone really liked it. It is a bit salty so I wouldn't add the salt in the recipe again. This is a great fall soup and really reminds me of being at Grams on the farm!


Michael's Navy Bean and Ham Hock Soup
Pg 57 The Deen Family Cookbook

1 lb dry navy beans, soaked over night or by quick soak method (on package)
6 cups veg or chicken broth
1 or 2 smoked ham hocks
1 large yellow onion (1 cup)
2 large chopped carrots (1/2 cup)
2 stalks celery(1/2 cup)
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp PD hot sauce or other hot sauce

1. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook covered until the beans are tender, about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Uncover and cook for one hour more until thickened.

2. Transfer the ham hock to a cutting board and trim all the meat off and return to the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment