Thursday, August 6, 2009

Meatloaf, MacnCheese, & Creamed Spinach

It's about how to make the best meat loaf or macaroni and cheese. It's about brilliant simple cooking, really. - Tyler Florence


I can't remember a time when the family wanted meatloaf until I found a great recipe, now they can't get enough of it. I also found a mac and cheese recipe and tweaked to my families liking. I am about to forgo all that work and perfecting to try two new recipes from The Deen Family Cookbook. I also am making creamed spinach AND beer and onion biscuits from the cookbook. Here's to a big night of cooking and hopefully smiles on everyones faces!

The meatloaf went together fast with 10 ingredients and I could tell that it would be juicy (key to success in this house). The mac n cheese, I will admit made me VERY skeptical. It went together with 9 ingredients and looked very nice but I worried how it would turn out. Justin (one of my assistant chefs)was home and helped me. With both of us, we were ready to go to the oven in 20 minutes. That is a quick prep.

As the meatloaf and mac n cheese, were baking, I mixed the 10 ingredients for the beer and onion biscuits and scooped them by 1/4 cup onto a baking sheet and popped them in in time for all to be done at the same time.

With 15 minutes left for everything to bake, I browned onion and bacon and when done, I added two bags of baby spinach. Once they were wilted, I added heavy cream and brought it to a boil until the cream stuck to the spinach. La n Va came and brought roasted cauliflower with red pepper flakes. Everything was done at the same time and a whole crew descended upon the kitchen: James, Jim, Sharran, La, Va, Johnny, Justin, Walker, and me....I went first! LOL

The meatloaf was amazing and juicy and sweet. The mac n cheese was a winner, very flavorful and cheesy. The spinach, was THE STAR of the night. It went so fast I didn't even get a picture of it! The biscuits tasted just like Tastefully Simples Beer Bread.

So, these are our new favorites so far (Beth, I know, I will send these too. haha). For dessert, we cheated with a mix and made apple cinnamon cupcakes. I really love making a meal where everything is great tasting and fills up my family and friends!

Aunt Peggy's Old-Fashioned Meat Loaf

1 lb ground beef
One 6oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup vidalia onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 quick-cooking oats
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp dijon mustard

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, oats, egg, salt, pepper. Shape into a loaf in a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze over top the meat and bake for 1 hour or until meatloaf is cooked all the way through.

Corrie's Bacon Creamed Spinach

3 slices of bacon
1/2 cup fine chopped yellow onion
2 6oz. bags baby spinach
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, then transfer to a paper towel. Pour off all but 1 tbsp of the fat from the skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened (3 to 5 minutes). Add the spinach and toss until well blended.

2. Add the cream, and salt and pepper to taste. Let the mixture bubble over medium heat until the cream is thickened and clinging to the spinach, about10 minutes. Crumble the bacon over the spinach, stir and serve.

Anthony's Ultimate Doubly Cheesy Mac n Cheese

4 tbsp butter
1/2 lb uncooked elbow or bowtie noodles
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 mustard powder
4 cups grated cheddar cheese

Bubba's Beer and Onion Biscuits

3 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 stick of butter
1 cup beer
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2/3 crushed fried onions
pinch of cayenne

1. Preheat oven 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a large bowl or food processor, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder,salt, and baking soda.Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry cutter or fork. Add the beer, cheese, onions, and cayenne, stirring or pulsing until dough forms.

2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently, just enough to form a ball. Pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thick round. Using a 2 1/2 in round cutter, stamp out circles of dough. Gently knead the leftover scraps together and stamp out more...(I just dropped them by spoon)

3. Transfer the biscuits to prepared baking sheet, brush tops with butter. Bake until golden brown about 25 to 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment