Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Sausage Bites & Smoky Tomato-Bacon Pasta


"Never eat more than you can lift. " -- Miss Piggy


That's right! Sausage and bacon dishes today! Sorry Miss Piggy, but when you get invited to dinner here, it isn't for a seat AT the table, it's for a place ON the table!

HOLY COW ...I MEAN PIG! These recipes are AWESOME! If you want them, make sure you email me or leave a comment on the tiny "comment" word below because THEY ARE WORTH IT!

These recipes are not only delicious, but also EASY. The Tiny Sausage-Tomato bites had only FOUR ingredients and as I was rolling them into meatballs, my guest chef was starting to whip up the Smoky Tomato-Bacon Pasta containing only FIVE ingredients! My son Justin joined in on the fun in my kitchen circus. I couldn't hardly say no because when I talked about this adventure of blogging and bought the book, Justin pushed the grocery cart reading Paula's cookbook and specifically chose this recipe to make. As many of my family and friends know, my hubby and sons are no strangers to the kitchen and have been known to stir a mean pot and bake a batch every so often. So we danced around the kitchen occasionally bumping into one another and got'er done! His pasta was done just seconds before my sausage bites and we rang the bell for dinner. Folks started running in, Jim, Sharran, James, Justin, Walker, and Benny (my soon to be nephew). It was love at first bite for all! The best was that Jim hates cheese, the pasta had cream cheese in it and because the flavors were so incorporated, he couldn't taste it....which was great! We oohed and awhed all through dinner eating off of fancy plates and enjoying simple recipes withincredible flavor. What a great night! At this point, I am not sure what we will get into Wednesday, but trust this....it will be yummy!:o)

TINY SAUSAGE-TOMATO BITES

1lb loose sausage crumbled(can be hot, sweet, or breakfast - your choice)
1.5 cups Bisquick
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
cherry tomatoes, halved

1. Hand mix first three ingredients together until well blended.
2. Roll into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet and flatten them with palm of your hand (enough to look like a patty- good job for the kids).
3. Make a dent with your thumb to nestle half a cherry tomato, cut side up in the indentation.

Bake @ 375 15 - 25 minutes or until done. I did the whole 25 minutes because I made them a little bigger for my guys, I also always make a double batch because they are awesome warmed up!

SMOKY TOMATO-BACON PASTA

10 strips of bacon
1 large yellow onion
1 28oz can of dices tomatoes
salt and pepper
4 ounces of cream cheese cut into chunks
1 lb cooked rigatoni

1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and brown (TIP: I used kitchen scissors and cut them into 1 inch sections before putting them into the skillet because you are going to crumble them later anyway.) Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep 1/4 cup of the bacon grease in the skillet .
2. Add the onion and cook over medium heat, stirring until onions are softened about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and crumbled bacon. Season with salt and pepper, simmer, stirring occasionally (about 10 min) Stir in the cream cheese until melted.
3. Meanwhile, boil and cook your pasta. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the sauce and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment